Beauty and the Beast Adaptations to Look Out For

So we’ve all seen (or at least heard of) the Disney adaptations – animated, a Broadway musical, and now a live action starring Emma Watson – of this classic fairy tale, and it’s one of my favourite stories of all time. What I wanted to do today, though, was list a couple of other interpretations of the story that may have slipped your notice! In no particular order:

Beastly (2011) Shamefully, I haven’t read the book, so I’ll just say a little about the film. This is the modern-day Young Adult movie version of the story, starring Alex Pettyfer, Vanessa Hudgens, Mary-Kate Olsen and Neil Patrick Harris. Pretty heavy-handed with its morality, and uncomfortably obvious in soundtrack choices, it is at least a creative twist on the classic story.

A Court of Thrones and Roses – Sarah J Maas I guess I would call this a New Adult Fantasy interpretation; although it sticks reasonably closely to the fairy tale, it’s set in a world with fairies, and I think it works hard to step outside expectations.

The Wrath and the Dawn – Renee Ahdieh Potentially my favourite on this list (find my review here), this is a Young Adult novel set in a sort of Fantasy, Pre-Islamic Middle Eastern world that puts a whole new twist on the story, and that embellishes the core story elements into a whole new fairy tale.

The Bloody Chamber – Angela Carter This is a collection of short fairy tale re-tellings, two of which are direct re-tellings of Beauty and the Beast. This book is pretty graphic, and uses fairy tale tropes to discuss feminist and gender issues. Carter certainly doesn’t pull any punches.

The Phantom of the Opera – Gaston Leroux Last but not least, we have The Phantom of the Opera! (I reviewed this here) I watched the musical multiple times before realising the connection with the story, and I think that’s what I like about this gothic Parisian re-telling: it is very liberal with its interpretation.

Those are all of my top picks, but I know there are loads more books based around Beauty and the Beast! Are there any you’d recommend?

Thanks for reading, and have a lovely day!

Dani

Advertisements

Review: The Wrath and the Dawn – Renee Ahdieh

The Wrath and the Dawn – Renee Ahdieh – 5 stars

The Wrath and the DawnI’m going to start by giving you all a fair warning: THIS BOOK HAS A SEQUEL. THE SEQUEL IS NOT YET OUT. PROCEED WITH CAUTION.

I can’t even describe the feeling of getting 90% through the Kindle version and realising that the remaining 10% is an excerpt of the next book…which I can’t buy yet. I feel so empty.

In all seriousness though, I freaking love this book. I’ve seen it crop up on a lot of blogs, so yesterday I thought screw it – I’m reading it. I got through it in two sittings.

The Wrath and the Dawn is technically a young adult fantasy novel, but I feel like it doesn’t sit too easily in either of those categories. It’s the story of a cursed boy-king with the blood of all his ex-wives on his hands – and it’s the story of the bride who survives.

The book is set in a sort of stylised Arabic culture, and that’s something I’d actually have liked to see a bit more of; it added a lot to the story, and gave the whole thing a really lovely other-worldly feel.

It’s also one of the most beautifully-written YA books I’ve laid hands on in a really long time. It’s such a tight plot, with well-constructed characters and just the right amount of mystery, romance and action. Ms Ahdieh is a really classy story-teller – the whole book reads like one big, exquisitely narrated aural story, and it’s the perfect style.

I absolutely can’t wait to re-read this closer to the time of the sequel’s release (please don’t disappoint me, Renee!)

If you’ve read this too, I’d love to hear your thoughts!

Thanks for reading, and have a lovely day.

~Dani