Okay, so however you feel about this book, no one can deny the societal, historical and theological impact that the Bible has had on the world. What I’ve collected today is a group of facts that I found really interesting – I hope you enjoy!
- The Bible was written over a 1600 year period (1500 BC to AD 100) by around 40 people. (Source)
- Around fifty Bibles are sold every minute.
- The verse smack-bang in the middle of the Bible is Psalm 118:8. There are 549 chapters before Psalm 118, and 549 chapters after Psalm 118 – making the total number of chapters 1188. So cool! (Also, if you’re interested, the verse says: “It is better to take refuge in the Lord than to trust in people.”)
- Jehovah’s Witnesses don’t celebrate birthdays, because the only two accounts of birthday parties in the Bible resulted in murder. You know – I can kind of see where they’re coming from. (Source)
- In 1631, two London Bible printers accidentally left the word “not” out of the seventh commandment, which then read, “Thou shalt commit adultery.” You can buy a copy for $90,000. Interesting, but potentially not worth the money? Ah well, to each their own. (Find it here!)
- The Seraphim (6 winged Angel of the Bible) could mean a Fiery Serpent. The word Seraph is actually a synonym for serpent, so…God could have an army of dragons. It is a subject of debate among theologians, and you know what? I’m cool with this either way. (Source)
- The Bible is the most shop-lifted book.
That’s all I’ve got – what have I missed?
Thanks for reading, and have a lovely day!