Oceans are so exciting! They say that over 95% of Earth’s oceans remain unexplored, which is CRAZY (and also leaves room for vast amounts of creativity. I personally hold to the idea that dinosaurs never went extinct and continue to thrive underwater!)
Anyway, I thought it would be fun to gather some interesting facts to inspire you.
- Currently, scientists have found and classified around 1.5 million species (212,906 of which are marine species – Source). It’s estimated that up to 100 MILLION other species have yet to be found, or haven’t been classified correctly. (Source)
- 94% of life on Earth is aquatic. (Source)
- The pressure at the deepest point in the ocean is 11,318 tons – that’s the equivalent of one person trying to support 50 jumbo jets. (Source)
- If you could evaporate all the water out of all the oceans and spread the resulting salt over the Earth ,you would have a 500 ft layer covering everything. (Source)
- If extracted, it is estimated that all the gold suspended in the world’s seawater would give each person on Earth 9 pounds. (Source)
I hope you found the facts as interesting as I did.
Thanks for reading, and have a lovely day!